Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cross Country Trip Day Nine: Amarillo Texas to Holbrook Arizona

Saturday night was a terrible horrible no good very bad night.  It started by arriving at our hotel to find it had recently been moved to the inside of a furnace.  That’s the only way to explain the temperature of 106 at 8:00pm. As an apology for the ugly outside heat the hotel staff had preset the room at a pleasant 70 degrees.  This small act of kindness certainly earned points in my book.

Jaime and I had a quick dinner of turkey sandwiches and hit the sack about 10:00pm.  At approximately midnight Bailey let out a guarding bark as someone knocked on our front door.  The quick rap on wood was followed by childlike giggles.  How sweet of those little vacationing angels to play knock and run … brats!  At this moment in time I realized that I was having trouble breathing.  Oh, it must be because my nose is completely clogged shut.  And I took my very last allergy pill earlier in the day.  Perfect.  Now I’m wide awake and listening to the sounds around me.  This is an old hotel that has been upgraded inside, but the foundation is still old.  The doors don’t shut evenly so one must slam as loud as possible to shut them.  Sense any sarcasm there?   Hotel guests, I don’t care if you are on vacation.  I don’t care if it is Saturday night.  I don’t care if so and so made the cutest couple and are now happily married.  I wanted to sleep! 

To make up for my unpleasant night we started the day off with Starbucks.  One swallow of that heavenly nectar in my to-go cup and I no longer envisioned strangling anyone.    Life is good.  :-)

The miles today were exceptionally smooth; so much so that I am left with little to write.  Given that, let me bring you some viewing pleasure.  Yes folks, the below fashion statement is what I am blessed to be seen with each day. 


Tomorrow we jog the short distance to Lake (remember how to pronounce it) Have-A-Sue Arizona.  There we will be guests of Jaime’s grandparents who are better known as Mama and Papa.  OH MY GOSH !!!!  I briefly stopped writing to check out the Lake Have-A-Sue weather forecast.  Surely my eyes kid.  For the three days we will be staying with Mama and Papa the temps will be: Monday, 117, Tuesday 119, and a real cold front comes on Wednesday to bring in a chilly 114.  Oh Maria Rice, please come trade places with me, now!  

1 comment:

  1. My mom lives in Green Valley, AZ, south of Tucson. Talked to her yesterday and she said the heat is absolutely miserable right now. Good luck and hope you are out of there soon!

    ReplyDelete