Last night we got a little goofy. You know how you get when being tired just takes over rational thinking? Keep that in mind as I tell this tale. Our room had two double beds with a small nightstand between them. Above the nightstand was a double lamp set-up so that one side or the other could utilize the light, or both. It was midnight and I was giving in to the sandman. Jaime was still clippity-clapping away on her netbook. As I pulled the covers up to my chin I mentioned why didn’t she turn her side of the light on and mine off. She made a move to do so, they stopped, looked at the light, then looked at me and questioned why. “Wouldn’t it make just as much light?” she asked. The giggles started as I tried to make sense of what I was saying. I blurted out that maybe it was just ease of operation for the person staying up to turn off the light if HER side was on instead of MY side being on. Again she moved toward the light fixture and yet again stopped. This time the laughter overcame her as she pointed and said, “But the switch is exactly in the middle!” A rowdy fit of insane laughter took over. And you know what, she never did turn that gosh darn light off.
Three days … 1091 miles … and we haven’t killed each other yet!
My greatest fear/embarrassment of this trip is finding myself in a position of not being able to maneuver the truck and trailer. What should happen this morning? We awake to find the U-Haul completely blocked by a car that parked mere inches from the front. Great. Just what I wanted to face first off. It is pouring down rain to boot. I open the hotel room door, set eyes on my obstacle, and march out to that truck with determination. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. (The Little Engine that Could would be so proud) I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and go for it. Not only was I able to back and turn while backing, but I expertly wound my way through the curves and tight angles of the parking lot searching for the exit. Applause people, this calls for applause!
If you are a dog lover you are aware of the undying affection they have for open windows. There is something about the wind rushing through their fur that drives them wild. I mentioned earlier that at one point Jaime and Bailey negotiated a seat exchange so Bailey could feel the air, but that was only on one occasion. Normally Miss Bales holds domain over the middle seat. But there is no rush of wind in the middle, no cool breeze blowing one’s ears afloat, no bugs getting stuck in fur. Oh but you see I have a smart doggie. She solved the no air problem all by herself. She simply lifts her nose and positions it directly in front of the air conditioning vent. A dog must do what a dog must do! We haven’t had the heart to tell her that it isn’t actually a window.
Hurray for the skillful maneuvering of the truck/trailer through the parking lot! Sonny (my professional driver) will be so proud of you when I relate this to him.
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying your blog so much, Wendy. It's like I'm there with you, though I'm not sure if there's room for me in that truck...you, Jaime and the dog have the coveted positions. Of course, if I actually were with you, you'd be a bit behind, as we would have visited the R&R Hall of Fame!
Continued blessings to you both...be safe.
Jo-Ann
Applause, applause, applause. No easy feat in the rain no less! You were so close to brother Lee who now resides in Walawaska WS. Just 90 min. out of Chicago along with his wife, 2 daughters, one son and 2 dogs! Say hi as you drive by!
ReplyDeletePrayers are with you all as you travel!