Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cross Country Trip Day Five: Kansas City Missouri to Rogers Arkansas

There comes a point in life when a person you know becomes knew; love becomes loved.  Then God steps in, alters paths, and once again it is know and love. 

Several months back I was sorting through boxes of old keepsake stuff.  Among the dust bunnies, faded newspapers and memories I stumbled across a letter style Christmas card from Karen Ramos.  Karen was my best friend through high school.  After school life brought marriage, children, and far away family moves.  Time marched on and we lost touch.  The last time we physically laid eyes on one another was during our ten year class reunion back in 1989.  I held the letter in my hand and wondered, what were the chances of the email address across the bottom being correct?  I sent out a quick greeting explaining to the recipient that if in fact it did not reach Brian and Karen could they kindly let me know rather than have me wonder that dreaded “what if” forever. 

And then it happened, Karen replied.  When I received her email I was on a trip to Phoenix with four wonderful women of God.  We were driving down the highway to our destination and I was scanning my emails.  Reading Karen’s words I became absolutely overwhelmed with emotion of years gone by and broke down like a baby.  The poor girls I was with had to sit in bewilderment as I sobbed.  I was only able to shake my head at their questions.  One finally asked, “At least tell us these are happy tears.”  Oh yes, yes indeed, these are happy tears. 

Moving forward months and my life switches gears again.  Now placed in my lap is the opportunity to spend a couple days with the Ramos family as Jaime and I chug along from east to west.  Unfortunately Brian is out on travel (didn’t do so good on the time planning with that one did ya God) but I was able to talk to him on the phone and he sounds just like the Brian I knew long ago. 

It was inevitable that photo albums be pulled out.  Michelle, Karen’s gorgeous daughter, and Jaime had a great time pointing at the clothes and hair of the late 70’s.  There were plenty of “Is that you!” “What were you wearing?” and comments as such.  Tucked in one of the albums was a card I had given Karen back in 1982ish.  A little card about what she meant to me as a friend.  As soon as I laid eyes on the front of the card I remembered.  Before I even picked it up I knew the words inside. As I cracked it emotion poured from my eyes in liquid form.  (Dad, there are times when I wish you had kept some of your gene pool to yourself.  This over the top sentimental crying bit really embarrasses sometimes) 

When two people are able to sit on the couch; laugh and chat as if it were only yesterday when they had last done so … yes, life is good.  




4 comments:

  1. It's a small world. My partner is from Ozark, Arkansas. She went to college at Tulsa and there met her life-time best friend who is from where else but Rogers, Arkansas. That friend still lives near Tulsa but is in Rogers often to visit her family. I am happy you enjoyed your visit with your dear friend! ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, what a great stop this was! Yes, Jaime's surprise catch-up yesterday with friend Evan was good, but this is tremendous, after more than 20 years apart. And I know you did not grow hoarse, even though you should have, I'm sure ;~)

    Hugs, woman. Continue to be vigilant...and watch out for sudden winds.
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you would hit storms around Kansas City... haha. That seems to be pretty normal here. It's too bad I didn't see you, but it looks like you're having an amazing time!!! Good blogging!

    <3
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen Ramos08:49

    LOVED having you girls here. Yep...even after 20 years, we didn't skip a beat. Never a dull moment with this crazy friend. Let me think....crazy dice games, "that's our president" comments at the Buss Stop, "acceptable air quality"...only in Pea Ridge, sweet tator fries and some Jack Johnson dancin to name a few.... Miss you girls already!

    ReplyDelete