Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cross Country Trip Day Ten: Holbrook Arizona to Lake Have-A-Sue (Havasu) City Arizona

As the fog of sleep lessened I became aware of silence.  Perhaps this was just an exceptionally quiet hotel.  I reached for my cell phone (remember when we actually used alarm clocks and wrist watches) to see what time this was all happening at.  Seriously?  3:30 a.m.  Good gracious.  Then I remembered we did drive across two separate time zones.  My body may say 5:30, but the hands on the clock say 3:30.  I willed myself back to sleep. 

Today the driving actually became somewhat of a chore for me.  I think it is because the landscape never changes.  Brown, tan, beige; how many different shades of dirt are there?  There is never a depletion of sun in this place. As proof here is a screenshot of my iPhone. 


 And then it happened.  We pulled off the Interstate for gas, turned the corner, and boom, there stood an establishment that made my heart sing.  No debating what side of the states we were on any longer, as only in the west can you find them.  I have so missed this scrumptiousness.


We arrived at Mama and Papa’s mid-afternoon.  Hugs and happy smiles were bountiful.  They have a sweet little dog named Tucker.  The dogs did their ceremonious hind-end sniffing, decided each were acceptable, and made peace. 


A couple hours later dinner plans were being discussed.  Jaime and I looked at each other in amazement when realization hit that we had not eaten since breakfast.  See, even our appetites went into hibernation due to the endless hours of the dessert landscape.  ;-) 

We headed out to Mudshark’s Brewery for BBQ.  Jaime had ribs and I had a pulled pork sandwich.  I was about to dig in when I realized there was a problem.  Digging through my purse I came up empty handed.  Jaime came to my rescue with a hair tie. You know it is sloppy good barbeque when you have to tie your hair back! 

We will be here for a couple days, then it is California bound again! 

2 comments:

  1. Karen Ramos16:52

    I showed Belle the picture of Tucker...and she got jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you write "the hands on the clock" after mentioning that you checked the time on your phone...silly woman.
    We have been mapping your journey, and note that you are right on the CA border. The map site tells us that you've now traveled 2812 miles! That's a haul.
    In-n-Out burgers...for we in the east, what's the big deal? The meat, the trimmings?
    So what have you found for gas prices as you've traveled west? If I recall right, hotel rooms increase once you cross the Mississippi.
    Be safe. Be blessed. And give Jamie a hug from us.

    ReplyDelete